skinnyhound on Etsy.com

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Teal and Ruffle Clutch - How To

So last night I was trying to come up with a really cute clutch. My original idea was to create it so that the front of the clutch was ruffly and had a giant bow. I still haven't figured out how I am going to do that yet - when I do I will post. But I came up with this, instead in the mean time!



I frequent Joann's fabrics A LOT! At the fabric cutting station there is always a "remnants" section, which is just leftover pieces of fabric from the bolt that don't quite measure out to a  yard. These are usually half off. I enjoy this section so much because you can get some great fabric for small projects at low prices!!



One of my discoveries was this great satin teal, which I used for this clutch. I cut the satin long and wide, and my base for the clutch 9" by 5.5" (you will need 4 pieces for the base) . I ironed on some fusible interfacingon the back of 2 of the base pieces.


Next I made the ruffle by individually ruffling the fabric it up and slowly stitching down the center.



Next I pinned the ruffle onto the base with interfacing and stitched it into place.


After that, I pinned and stitched the zipper into place. Don't forget to add the lining (one of the base pieces without interfacing)!




Unzip the zipper and sew the clutch together (right side to ride side so that the WRONG sides are facing OUT). You want the zipper unzipped because it is VERY hard to unzip when you can't grab the handle of it. Take it from me, I learned the hard way...TWICE :-p

Oh, and don't forget to trim the excess off of the seams.

TADA!!!!

You can purchase this clutch purse and other styles by visiting my Etsy Shop skinnyhound.



Happy Sales!!


No comments:

Post a Comment