skinnyhound on Etsy.com

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

For the Athlete In Us All

 The secret of concentration is the secret of self-discovery. You reach inside yourself to discover your personal resources, and what it takes to match them to the challenge. 

--Arnold Palmer


For the past year I have been on a journey of exercising, eating right, and getting fit. Since January 15th of this year (2010) I have lost 52 pounds! But it did not come easily. Not even a little bit. Starting out, I could barely run for a minute straight on the treadmill! I had to push myself harder and harder every day both physically and mentally, and when I felt that I just couldn't push any harder, that was when I dug deep inside and pushed even harder. 

A few weeks ago, after a few months of training, I ran my very first Half-Marathon, which is 13.1 miles. It was brutal, but I never stopped or walked the entire  time. I went from hardly running for a minute straight, to running an entire 13.1 miles, without stopping or walking, in 2 hours and 39 minutes. How is that for accomplishment?

No matter who you are, or what your situation, you can be an athlete. Anyone can. When you say, "I could never do that" or "I am only able to run this far or this fast", you are WRONG. Maybe you have been hitting the treadmill fairly regularly but you never see any results? Sports and all athletic ventures are 10% physical and 90% mental. If you tell yourself you can do it, you can and you will. 

As an athlete I was searching through Etsy for things that may appeal to my sporty side, and oh boy did I ever! Here are some great items from some really great shops.

Tattoo Print Multi Purpose Backpack Drawstring Bag by DesignsByAmbiana

I Run. Glass Pendant Necklace- White and Black by noelleorozco

Vinyl Wall Sticker Decal Art - Karate Kid by urbanwalls

It has been my experience that many of the Etsy shops are run primarily by women, and often times they are mothers and have very little time between running a family and a shop to hit the gym. Don't let that be your excuse. Take your kids for walks and runs and playing outside in the grass or parks. You can ALWAYS make time for exercise and living an active and healthy lifestyle, no matter what your situation is. And don't give up, it is supposed to be hard at first. 

Start your healthy new lifestyle with some of these inspirational items! Or, add to your regular fitness regime with these useful and cute items! Start today!

No comments:

Post a Comment